contact_banner4
History of CTK

Christ the King Lutheran Church was first envisioned in 1958, by the Evangelical Lutheran Church (ELC) and Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Mankato. At that time, both groups pledged their financial support for a new mission congregation in Mankato, Minnesota.
On July 21, 1959, the Reverend Harry L. Anderson was called as the first pastor of the future congregation. He accepted the call in the fall of that year and began his work at CTK on July 15, 1960. In February, 1960, contracts were let on the first unit of the church facility and on the parsonage. Then, in August, Miss Annette Femrite, of the ELC, assisted the new pastor with a home-to-home canvas of the hilltop area of Mankato to recruit members. The congregation was officially organized, and Pastor Anderson was installed on November 16, 1960. Pastor Anderson served the congregation until 1975.

On September 11, 1960, the first worship service was held in the new sanctuary, now the chapel. On November 16, 1960, Christ the King Lutheran Church was organized. CTK was the last congregation organized by the ELC, which merged with other Lutheran bodies to form The American Lutheran Church. A subsequent merger created the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

The first building unit was dedicated on February 5, 1961. In 1964 an education wing was added.

Notes on the history of Christ the King Lutheran Church's building

Christ the King Lutheran's building was built in several stages;  the first unit, consisting of what is now the Chapel, a meeting room (now rooms 28-30) a Pastor's study (now room 31--the Education office), and a Narthex or lobby (now part of various rooms and halls near the Chapel) was completed in 1960.

In 1964, the Education wing (now rooms 16-23) was dedicated. In 1969, an addition was completed which includes the present worship space, a connecting hall with classrooms, a Fireside Room (now the Library), a library (now a part of the library and the library office), a nursery, office and restrooms. In 1995, the building was enlarged and extensively remodeled. The original office space was demolished to make room for the Community Room, a new Fireside Room was built, the Narthex enlarged, a music room and additional Sunday School classrooms were added. Air conditioning was also installed. In 2004, many halls and classrooms were remodeled for the rotation model Sunday School. To view some of these rooms, please visit our Education page.

The building consists of about 43,000 square feet of space. In addition to worship, Bible study, Christian education and congregational activities, the building houses the Pathstone Living Adult Day Service, which provides care and medical services to allow adults to remain in their homes and live as independently as possible.